When someone starts it’s own blog. The first thing which comes in mind is, How will my blog come on the first page of Google or any search engine? The Answer is SEO. When you start searching about SEO, you will get some of the common words like noindex, doindex, nofollow, dofollow, offpage SEO, Onpage SEO and so on. All the words play very important role in SEO. So Today I will be explaining about Dofollow and NoFollow.
What is Dofollow?
When Google bots are crawling a website they look for external links point to other sites. If they find Dofollow link then search engine follow the link and passes the link juice. It will definitely help you to achieve good page rank.
Example of Dofollow link:
<a href=”www.tricksacademy.com” rel=”dofollow”>Tricks Academy</a>
<a href=”www.tricksacademy.com” rel=”external”>Tricks Academy</a>
See rel=”dofollow” and rel=” external” in the above code. They define the link as dofollow. If you do not use rel tag, the link will be treated as dofollow.
What is nofollow?
Nofollow is an HTML attribute value which is used to instruct search engine bots that a hyperlink should not crawl by search engine and won’t pass any link juice. It’s good practice to use nofollow link attribute to those link, where you don’t want to pass link juice.
Example of Nofollow link:
<a href=”www.google.com” rel=”nofollow”>Tricks Academy</a>
See rel= nofollow in the above code. It defines the link as nofollow.it’s mean these types of links are not crawled by search engine. The comment section mostly has nofollow links. Even if nofollow link doesn’t pass link juice but it can help to get traffic towards your website.
You can also make an entire post nofollow with the help of robots meta tag. You have to do just only add below line in your post /page.
<meta name= “robots” content=”nofollow”/>
By adding this line, your whole page or post being nofollow. All the links are present on the page or post will be treated as nofollow even though they don’t have nofollow tag.
Where to use?
After knowing about Dofollow and nofollow, we can move for where you can use dofollow and nofollow attributes. so I will explain you one by one.
you can use dofollow in the following instance
- Refer to site having relative content.
- High PR rank website. (like google blogs.)
- Link to the original source.(if you have referred content.)
- Your internal links also are dofollow.
You can use nofollow in the following instance
- In comments section as we do not have any control on it.
- Affiliate links because they are meant for linking and commission then why you will pass link juice.
- If you want to add a spam website in your blog cause of any reason then make this link to nofollow.
- Irrelevant sites in content: if you add those links which are not related to your content then make It nofollow.
- If you are making list post and you don’t want to pass link juice to those links then make it nofollow.
- Casino, Gambling, Porn sites.
How to find dofollow and nofollow links in Post?
If you want to find which link is nofollow and which is dofollow. In Mozilla and chrome, just right click to link and select “inspect” in the menu. After selecting inspect , a window will open in bottom of the browser with highlighted link with complete html code. Where you can find nofollow attribute is used or not? If it is used then link is nofollow otherwise the link is dofollow.
If you have any doubts regarding dofollow and nofollow, feel free to comment or contact me for any question relevant to this tutorial.
Latest posts by Arun Nama (see all)
- What Mistakes to avoid during setup permalinks in WordPress? - February 7, 2017
- How to disavow link for remove spam backlinks from Google - January 12, 2017
- A Complete Guide: How to protect website content from being copied - July 11, 2016