You are looking to build a great blog for yourself and you have already decided on using WordPress. Why? Well, because you have the information and suggestion that it is quite easily and naturally optimized, giving you the facility to rank your site on search engine searches very easily. Yes, it may be true, but not always. Neither you or Google is lying, but problems are hidden in a different section. There are so many things that you need to learn from the very first day when you start using the WordPress and one of the most important things that you should consider is the problem of WordPress duplicate content.
You may think that you are posting all genuine articles or content on your blog or website but what search engines see is quite different from what you know. Let us understand the problem in details.
What is WordPress duplicate content?
Do you know that someone can get access to your content by two URLs? For example, an article can be accessed like this:
Now you can clearly see that you have created six copies of that content unknowingly. Now, what are Categories and tags?
Here category allows forming a group together by sorting all information into a relative topic. How? Suppose you are writing about colors of flowers in India. So your WordPress site topic will be “colors of flowers”.
Obviously, you know there are so many colors to describe with flowers, but the basic colors are white, red, and yellow, blue. You will need one category for each color.
- Colors of flowers (your site topic)
- Red (category)
- Blue…. etc.
And tags are similar to categories. But it is in a free-form and less general.
For example, if you put 4 posts under the category of blue on your website, you can use a tag like this.
- Blue (category)
- Light blue (tag)
- Dark blue
- Ocean blue
- See blue
You use tags to filter your content into more subtopics actually. Among those six copies, certainly google will get confused about which link it should show it. This will be a troublesome issue for you at the same time as Google will start penalizing your content or blog for duplicate content. It’s necessary to solve the duplication problem,”Wordpress duplicate content”.
How to find WordPress duplicate content:
Let’s start with very basic step about duplicate content within your WordPress blog. Search your blog name in this format:
See all the links which shown by google. Here you can find what google have indexed from your blog. And you can analyze what links google should not index. Generally, Google bots should not index categories, meta, archive, tags etc. If you see results from them, now you are in trouble. It’s time to work on SEO and make it better
Some steps you can follow to avoid these kinds of hazards:
- You can remove “replytocom” links from Google’s index. To check search using replytocom. If such links are already indexed, you should remove them using Google webmaster tools. Install Replytocom redirect WordPress plug-in. Also, go for WordPress duplicate content fix. You can also read full guide to remove replytocom links.
- Use Duplicate post remover plug-in. When you have a huge number of posts, it will help you from having same posts with exactly the same title as the other.
- To prevent content theft, use Copyscape.com, PlagSpotter.com, Dooplee duplicate content checker plug-in.
- Limit Categories, Tag, and Archive Pages in your contents or blogs. If you can use fewer tags and very important category only, it is a good practice to avoid duplicate WordPress content. You can use the Robots Meta plugin too. Keep categories, tags and archive page no index and dofollow. If you are using plugin like WordPress SEO by Yoast, you can easily configure no index and dofollow tag.
- You can fix the commenting pagination by following some simple steps. Go to Settings > Discussions > ‘Uncheck’ Break Comments into Pages option.
- You should not set link attachment as an image link. For Example:
If you have a lot of posts with image attachment linking to images in your content, then you have to install the attachment pages redirect plugin to fix the issue. If you already installed WordPress SEO by Yoast, Go to permalinks under advanced settings and click on check box “Redirect attachment URL’s to parent post-URL. ” now it’s done this plugin will take care of it.
- Canonical URL: canonical URL tag is one of the important thing of on-page SEO. Example of conical URL:
if you see both links, they point to the same post thus again they are creating duplicate content. Make sure both these links are point only one URL. You can use canonical tag to resolve this issue. If you are using WordPress SEO by Yoast, it will take care of this issue. You don’t need to worry about this issue. You can also manually add this code this line into <head> section.
<link rel=”canonical “href=”http://www.tricksacademy.com” />
You should also watch this video from matt cuts where he explains canonical tag in detailed:
Hope this will help to fix the WordPress duplicate content issue. If you face any problem to remove WordPress duplicate content you can contact me or comments here. I will try to help you.
Latest posts by Arun Nama (see all)
- What Mistakes to avoid during setup permalinks in WordPress? - February 7, 2017
- How to disavow link for remove spam backlinks from Google - January 12, 2017
- A Complete Guide: How to protect website content from being copied - July 11, 2016