When web designer or programmer develops WordPress theme, plugin or WordPress blog, he needs to test this thing on the local server. It’s mean he needs to install WordPress in xampp on his computer/PC or laptop. In this guide, I will explain how to install wordpress in xampp on computer or laptop with the help of proper screenshot.
WordPress need a web server such as Apache or IIS, PHP 4.3 or higher, MYSQL 4.0 or higher. XAMPP is an easy solution for three of them. It provides server environment for open source project like WordPress.
What is XAMPP?
The full form of XAMPP is X– Cross Platform, A– Apache, M– MYSQL, P-PHP, P– Pearl. It is simple and lightweight solution that allows you to create the local server for test application. XAMPP is supportable on most popular platforms, for example, windows, Linux, MAC.
- Go to the Apachefriends website and download xampp.
- Once .exe file downloaded, launch the installer.
- The xampp wizard guides you about xampp installation.
- In the next window, you will be asked for select which component of software you would like to install. Some options such as apache and PHP are already clicked and greyed out because they are essential to running the software.
- For install wordpress in xampp, I will check MYSQL and PHPMYADMIN and remains will be unchecked.
- Next, select the folder where you want to install XAMPP, I will insall XAMPP in C:\XAMPP.
- In the next window, you will be asked for learning more about Bitnami for XAMPP. Bitnami offers tools for installing wordpress, Joomla, Drupal and many other open source application. It is provide one touch configuration. In this tutorial, we will install wordpress in xampp manually. So uncheck the box and click on next.
- Now your setup is ready to install click on next.
- Wait for while till your xampp installation will be completed.
- In the next window, you will be asked for the start control panel now check the box. Click on finish to complete the installation.
- Your control panel will be open. Click on start to run apache and mysql service. If you are going far so well, Apache and MySQL started successfully.
- For check your local server you can visit http://localhost.
How to install wordpress in XAMPP?
In above we learned about how to install xampp. Now it’s time to learn how to install wordpress in XAMPP. Follow the below steps:
- Download latest version of WordPress From WordPress.org.
- extract the Zip file, copy the WordPress folder and paste to htdocs folder under C:/XAMPP. (If you choose another path to install XAMPP, go that path to paste wordpress in htdocs folder.
- Go to http://localhost/security/index.php and change the mysql database password. In this tutorial, I will choose the password “test”.
- Go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ and login to phpmyadmin MYSQL server. By default username is root.
- create new Database for wordpress. I gave the name of database is wordpress. Refer screenshot below.
- open the file redeme.html file under wordpress folder and follow the process of installation. Open the url http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php. this file helps to create wp-config file. it will look like below screenshot.
- click on let’s Go and fill the information about Database name, username, password, database host and table prefix. For your help see the screenshot to fill above information.
- if you face any error in 6 and 7 step, Don’t worry go to C://XAMPP/htdocs/wordpress. open the file wp-config-sample.php in text editor. Edit the data as below image. Save the file and rename as wp-config.php.
- now go to http://localhost/wordpress and select the language. Click on continue.
- in the next window, fill the information about your blog. And go for install wordpress.
Now your wordpress has successfully installed in XAMPP. Login to your wordpress admin panel. Start playing with your offline wordpress. You can do many things with your offline wordpress like making change locally before making change live on online server. Many wordpress developers use offline server for any changes in website, themes, plugin etc. after testing on offline server, they apply the changes on online server. if you want to install wordpress on live server, here is complete guide how to install wordpress on live server.
If you have faced any technical problem regarding install wordpress in xampp. Do let me know via comments. I will try to help you.
Latest posts by Arun Nama (see all)
- What Mistakes to avoid during setup permalinks in WordPress? - February 7, 2017
- How to disavow link for remove spam backlinks from Google - January 12, 2017
- A Complete Guide: How to protect website content from being copied - July 11, 2016