Today Tricks Academy comes with its first post on this blog. It’s about how to setup hosted wordpress blog. In this post we will cover how to setup my blog on wordpress and which plugin we need to setup the blog. WordPress is one of the most popular blog platforms with more than 76 million sites around the world. WordPress has plugin directory that will help you create your blog without any coding.
Now, there must be some questions arising in your mind, like, if there are so many free platforms for blogging, like blogger.com, wordpress.com, Typepad.com, etc then why do we need to setup hosted wordpress blog and more so, why should we pay for blogging?
Hosted wordpress blog Vs other free blog platforms :
There are many blog platforms like blogger.com, wordpress.com, Typepad.com where we can start blogging absolutely free. But we don’t have much control on these platforms. We can’t use our separate domain name. they will let us host our blog in their sub domain for example: ourdomain.wordpress.com.
If we wish to have our separate domain like ourdomain.com then on wordpress.com we can do so by taking paid services. If we wish to blog seriously to make our blog popular and make some pennies out of it, then we have to go with self hosted wordpress blog.
Now, we will tell you how to set a self hosted blog.
Register a domain and web hosting
First you have to find your area of interest about what you want to write and then select a descriptive domain name which defines your blog or its subject. There are many hosting websites which provide hosting with domain registration. But first of all check the minimum requirement for blog hosting ( for the requirements click here).
To host Tricks Academy we used namecheap.com for domain registration and hostgator.in for webhosting as both the websites provide 24×7 support and user friendly panel, making it easy to install dns server name. Also on hostgator one click wordpress, installation doesn’t need any developer or coding. Any one can install their blog with in minutes. We will explain you step by step how we set our Tricks academy that will help you to setup your blog.
- Go to website namecheap.com and search whether your domain name is available and if its not then search another one.
- Add your available domain to cart and view cart for payment.
- See your subtotal at namecheap. For first year you will get Free WhoisGurd that will protect your personal information from others. To get the desired discount, you can enter the promo code if available to you. Finally confirm your order.
- For payment, login to namecheap website. If you already have an account then just login, otherwise create an account and login for payment. You can pay by your debit card/credit card.
- In the first step we have purchased the domain name, now it’s time to purchase suitable hosting plan. For purchasing hosting plan we have to visit hostgator.in (Indian users) and rest visit hostgator.com and then choose hosting->shared. Basically hostgator have three hosting plans – see image below. Choose any one according to your need. I have chosen hatchling plan for Tricks academy because I want single domain hosting, but if you have more than one domain, you can go for either baby plan or business plan.
- As in the first step we have already purchased the domain name, so when you click on buy the hosting plan, it will ask “Do you already have a domain for your hosting plan?” click yes.
- Now enter your chosen domain name and choose the CodeGuard service to secure your website, as it will protect your website from crashes and backup your cloud. I did not use this service for Tricks Academy. Click on continue.
- In next step you will see your order summary. If you a have coupon code you can apply it for discount. By default, the hostgator gives a 20% discount by the coupon code “SUNSHINE” and then click continue.(hostgator checkout.png)
- Sign in to your account if you have already registered or create an account then login for payment. You can pay by credit card/debit card , net banking.
Now you have successfully registered your domain name and hosting. And its time to setup hosted wordpress blog. We will cover this part in our next tutorial. To see How to setup hosted wordpress blog part-2
Note: For any questions / suggestions / feedback, please comment. Your suggestions are valuable to us. If you like this post please share it.